BP's Corexit 9527A, used to disperse the oil, contains between 30-60% 2-butoxyethanol
Hazardous Substance Fact Sheet for 2-BUTOXY ETHANOL, New Jersey Dept. of Health and Human Services, August 2008 (Revised):
2-Butoxy Ethanol should be handled as a CARCINOGEN--WITH EXTREME CAUTION. ...
The following chronic (long-term) health effects can occur at some time after exposure to 2-Butoxy Ethanol and can last for months or years:
Cancer Hazard: 2-Butoxy Ethanol may be a CARCINOGEN in humans since it has been shown to cause liver cancer in animals. Many scientists believe there is no safe level of exposure to a carcinogen.
Reproductive Hazard: 2-Butoxy Ethanol may damage the developing fetus. There is limited evidence that 2-Butoxy Ethanol may damage the male reproductive system (including decreasing the sperm count) in animals and may affect female fertility in animals.
2-Butoxy Ethanol may damage the liver and kidneys.
Click above image for screenshot of fact sheet. Download the state fact sheet here.
h/t Raw Story
Previous reports on findings of 2-butoxyethanol:
- 61.6 ppm of Corexit 9527A marker found in sediment near Florida border — Neurotoxin 2-butoxyethanol (VIDEO)
- Tests find sickened family has 50.3 ppm of Corexit’s 2-butoxyethanol in swimming pool — JUST ONE HOUR NORTH OF TAMPA (lab report included)
- 13.3 ppm of COREXIT found INLAND, near Florida border — Chemist says tests show “toxic solvent” 2-butoxyethanol that “RUPTURES red blood cells” (VIDEO & PHOTOS)
- Mobile, AL man says dispersants harmed “central nervous systems” and “internal organs”
- ANOTHER cleanup worker sprayed: “Made his leg swell like a balloon”; Takes pill for “itching all the time” (VIDEO)
- Gulf toxicologist: Shrimpers exposed to Corexit “bleeding from the rectum”; Dispersant “ruptures red blood cells, causes internal bleeding” (VIDEO)
- EPA employee: “Many of the health effects that we hear occurring… is that there was internal hemorrhaging and bleeding from orifices” (VIDEO)
- Two more fishermen exposed: “I started to vomit brown, and my pee was brown… non-stop diarrhea unlike anything I’ve ever experienced”